This is the story of my life while working to become a neonatal nurse practitioner.
Sunday, October 3, 2010
Stressful Clinical this week.
So this clinical wasn't the best one for me. My patient was resting most of the time so I felt like I was slacking cause I had nothing to do. I ended up trying to help the nursing techs. But when my patient was awake she wouldn't tell me what she needed and just asked me to get a nursing tech. And when it came time to do my assessment she said she wasn't feeling good and didn't want me to do it. Ms. Taylor ended up having to do the assessment while I watched which completely freaked and stressed me out. But I'll practice assessment on my roommates to be prepared for next week. Hopefully I'll have a patient who's more willing to have me help. So I've just been sort of bummed out today and something that I was hoping would cheer me up ended up not helping my mood and possibly bringing it down. I just can't wait to start the new week and get my mind off the past 2 days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can relate, fortunately for me my patient was extremely cooperative and put up with my bumbling technique. I felt like I wanted to tell the patient more about me to establish rapport and gain trust when I should have just been conducting the assessment. I think next time, rather than discuss myself, I will discuss the assessment and what each assessment is actually looking for.
ReplyDelete